Apple Pan Charlotte
NET WT 24OZ (680 g)
CONTAINS: WHEAT. MAY CONTAIN SOYBEAN, MILK, EGG AND TREE NUTS.
ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OIL OR SOYBEAN OIL), YEAST, CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR.
- 12 slices (1 pound) of stale California Goldminer Sourdough Sourdough Square, halved
- 4 pounds (about 8) apples, such as Granny Smith or Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, quartered, and roughly chopped
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 egg whites
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place the apples, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl, stirring to coat.
- In a large skillet, place mixture over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes until the apples break down.
- Stir in 4 tablespoons of the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar and continue cooking until the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- After melting the remaining butter, brush each slice of sourdough generously on both sides with the butter before press a third of the bread into an 11-by-7-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle pressed bread with a heaping tablespoon of sugar and top with half the apple mixture. Repeat this process with remaining bread, mixture and sugar pressing to compress, until ending with a top layer of buttered bread.
- Whisk together the egg whites and the remaining sugar and pour our over the top of the dish and bake about 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve warm and top with whipped cream if desired.