Apple Pie Sourdough Boulecook time
1 hour 10 Minutes
1 California Goldminer® Sourdough Boule
8 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
⅛ tsp. nutmeg
¼ tsp. kosher salt
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
¼ cup sugar
Whipped cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the top off the bread boule and remove as much of the soft inside as possible, leaving the sides intact and saving the top to place back on once filled with the apple mixture. Place boule on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice and zest.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Pour mixture over apples and toss until apples are coated.
- Scoop apples into hollowed out bread boule, pressing down so the boule is completely full of apples. Cut 1 tablespoon of butter into small cubes and arrange atop the apples. Cover with the top of the boule.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and brush all over the outside of the bread boule. Sprinkle generously with the sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, uncovered, and then cover loosely with foil. Continue to bake for 1 hour.
- Remove and let rest on pan for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve topped with whipped cream.