Butternut Squash Soup & Cheesy Croutonscook time
- 2 California Goldminer® Sourdough Mini Boule 2-pack
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, sauté onions in butter until soft. Add squash, chicken stock, sage, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and cook until squash is tender (approximately 20 minutes).
- Ladle soup into blender and purée with cream cheese until smooth. (You may need to do this in several batches). Return to saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use a serrated knife to cut the top off each boule. Set tops aside. Carefully remove inside of each boule, being sure to leave at least a ½-inch-thick layer of bread all around. Cut or tear the removed bread pieces, including tops, into 1-inch pieces. Arrange on a baking sheet, careful not to overlap, and sprinkle liberally with cheese. Toast in oven until cheese is melted and bread is golden.
- Ladle soup into boules and top with desired amount of cheesy croutons.
Note: Short on time? Use your favorite store-bought soup instead!