Cheesy Sourdough Popperscook time
- 8 slices California Goldminer® Sourdough Sourdough Square
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 12 (¾-inch) cubes Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Remove crusts from bread. Combine eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Add bread slices to egg/milk mixture and knead to create a dough.
- Tear off a handful of dough, squeezing to remove extra liquid, and place a cheese cube in the center. Roll dough into a ball and place atop wax or parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough and cheese cubes (you should have enough bread to form twelve cheese/dough balls). Sprinkle with dried basil, salt and pepper, ensuring all sides are covered.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. To check oil temperature, flick a few water droplets into the skillet. When the oil makes a gurgling noise, it’s ready for frying. Place all twelve balls in the skillet and fry, turning intermittently with tongs, until golden brown on all sides (approximately 2½ minutes per side). Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain oil. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.