Cheesy Sourdough Poppers
NET WT 24OZ (680 g)
CONTAINS: WHEAT. MAY CONTAIN SOYBEAN, MILK, EGG AND TREE NUTS.
ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OIL OR SOYBEAN OIL), YEAST, CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR.
- 8 slices California Goldminer® Sourdough Sourdough Square
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 12 (¾-inch) cubes Cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Remove crusts from bread. Combine eggs and milk in a large mixing bowl. Add bread slices to egg/milk mixture and knead to create a dough.
- Tear off a handful of dough, squeezing to remove extra liquid, and place a cheese cube in the center. Roll dough into a ball and place atop wax or parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough and cheese cubes (you should have enough bread to form twelve cheese/dough balls). Sprinkle with dried basil, salt and pepper, ensuring all sides are covered.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. To check oil temperature, flick a few water droplets into the skillet. When the oil makes a gurgling noise, it’s ready for frying. Place all twelve balls in the skillet and fry, turning intermittently with tongs, until golden brown on all sides (approximately 2½ minutes per side). Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain oil. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve.