Cherry Basil Gruyère Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices California Goldminer® Cracked Wheat Square
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 4 slices Gruyère cheese
- Cherry compote (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Cherry Compote Ingredients:
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. lemon peel, grated
- Cherry Compote Directions:
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries, water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Whisk in cornstarch and lemon peel, and continue to cook, stirring regularly, until thick (approximately 10 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
- Sandwich Directions:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Lay two bread slices in pan and top each with two slices of cheese and 1-2 tablespoons of compote. Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- Butter one side of remaining bread slices with remaining tablespoon of butter. Place slices, butter side up, atop sandwiches in pan.
- Cook until sandwiches are golden brown on underside (approximately 3 minutes). Flip and cook until second side is golden brown (approximately 3 minutes more). Enjoy!