Eggplant Parmesan Toast
NET WT 24OZ (680 g)
CONTAINS: WHEAT. MAY CONTAIN SOYBEAN, MILK, EGG AND TREE NUTS.
ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, SALT, VEGETABLE OIL (CANOLA OIL OR SOYBEAN OIL), YEAST, CULTURED WHEAT FLOUR.
- 5 slices California Goldminer® Sourdough Sourdough Square
- 3 medium eggplants, cut into ½-inch thick slices
- 1¼ tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 (6-oz.) package baby spinach
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Tomato Sauce Directions:
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, stirring 2-3 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and red wine and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and using a handheld immersion blender, process slightly, leaving the sauce somewhat chunky. Season with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Eggplant Parmesan Directions:
- Place eggplant slices in a large strainer, sprinkle with a tablespoon of salt, toss to coat and let sit for 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant and dry well with paper towel.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Place flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Add eggplant slices, reseal bag and toss to coat. Crack eggs into a medium bowl and beat gently with a fork or whisk. In a large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Dip each slice of flour-coated eggplant first in the eggs, then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides well.
- Heat oil in nonstick pan and pan fry breaded eggplant until golden brown and crispy.
- Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Spread each slice with 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce and top with a small handful of spinach. Layer on 2 eggplant slices, 2 more tablespoons of tomato sauce and 3 tablespoons of Mozzarella cheese. Heat toast in oven until cheese is bubbly and golden.