Mac 'n' Cheese Ballscook time
- 6 slices California Goldminer Sourdough Sourdough Square (crumbed)
- 1 pound dry Macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make breadcrumbs: Place California Goldminer Sourdough Bread slices directly on oven rack in preheated 300°F oven and bake for 30 minutes. Crumble slices into food processor and process until fine.
- Boil macaroni until al dente and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter before combining flour and milk over medium heat. Add cheese and stir until melted and thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cooked macaroni until it is completely covered with mixture. Remove from heat and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll and form refrigerated mac ‘n’ cheese mixture into balls. Place on a plate and refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- Dip refrigerated balls into a large bowl of egg whites and then roll them around on separate plate of breadcrumbs, thoroughly coating.
- In a large skillet, fry coated balls in cooking oil until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes then serve with a zesty red sauce.